Cedar Run is seeking a Summer Camp Counselor (Seasonal)
About Cedar Run
Cedar Run is a non-profit dedicated to the preservation of New Jersey’s wildlife and habitats through education, conservation and rehabilitation. Woodford Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge sits on 171 wooded acres on the edge of the New Jersey Pinelands. Cedar Run includes the Woodford Nature Center, an outdoor Wildlife Housing Area with nearly 60 native residents, and a Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital. The overall mission of Cedar Run is to serve as a community resource on the importance of protecting and enhancing healthy ecosystems for all. To that end, Cedar Run engages in: ecologically based land management; the operation of a Federally and NJ State licensed hospital facility that cares for more than 6,000 injured, orphaned or displaced native wildlife each year; the education of over 20,000 students annually through our various on-site and outreach programs; and serves as an active resource to the greater New Jersey community on all wildlife and habitat related questions and issues.
Position Title: Summer Camp Counselor (Seasonal)
Location: Medford, NJ (approx. 17 miles from Philadelphia)
Reports to: Rachel Ndeto, Assistant Director of Education
Duration: 8 weeks
Duration: mid-June (dates flexible) through the second week in August
Hours: full time, weekdays 8am-4pm (40-hour week)
Compensation: starting at $11.10/hour
Deadline for Applications: 4/5/2021
Cedar Run is seeking a highly self-motivated, creative, organized, detail-oriented individual to work with our nature-based summer camp. Focus will be centered on developing activities/lessons and executing our summer day camp for children ages 3 through grade 8.
Seasonal staff is responsible for working with other counselors to develop and implement age-appropriate lessons, oversee and manage campers, prepare daily materials and activities and daily set-up/clean-up. Staff will be responsible for keeping a portfolio of their lesson plans and reports to the education department.
- Academic background (2 years minimum of college coursework and/or degree preferable) in biology, ecology, education, environmental studies, or related field
- Previous experience working with children, preferably in an outdoor setting
- Strong interest and enthusiasm for the outdoors and sharing nature and the environment with others
- Good communication skills with children and adults
- Willingness to learn and participate in various aspects of Refuge work
- Must have the ability to hike 2 miles over uneven terrain in hot and humid conditions
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna and previous experience working in a camp setting preferred
- First-Aid and CPR certification required
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required
- Must have own transportation
- Must pass a criminal background and sex offender check prior to start date
Application Procedure: Please submit your resume, cover letter and two references to Rachel Ndeto, Assistant Director of Education, at email@example.com. Please apply before May 1, 2021 to be considered. No phone calls about this position please.