Woodford Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge is a 171-acre refuge located in south-central New Jersey. Cedar Run is a private, non-profit organization that is dedicated to conserving and protecting native NJ wildlife through education and wildlife rehabilitation. Applicant must have a passion for teaching and promoting Cedar Run’s mission in a positive and engaging manner. We are looking to fill part-time educator positions, approximately 10-20 hours/month, potential for more seasonally. These positions are perfect for those wanting to gain experience and knowledge in presenting education programs in an informal setting while gaining valuable animal handling experience.
1. A bachelor’s degree in environmental education, a natural history discipline, natural science, or environmental studies, or an education degree with a concentration in the sciences is desirable.
2. At least 2 years experience teaching biological or earth sciences, environmental education or nature programs with middle and high school age students in a classroom or summer camp environment is desirable.
3. Previous experience handling raptors and/or reptiles preferred, not required.
4. Love of people (especially children) and teaching in the outdoors.
5. Knowledge of, or be able to quickly, acquire, knowledge of New Jersey flora and fauna and the Pinelands region.
6. Current/valid driver’s license and access to personal vehicle.
7. Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and to handle routine and emergency situations calmly and efficiently.
8. Must be capable of lifting 25 pounds, standing for long periods of time, and walking 2 or more miles on uneven terrain.
9. Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills.
10. Must have a flexible schedule and availability to work evenings, weekends and occasional holidays.
11. A willingness and ability to care for and handle raptors and reptiles, including cleaning and feeding.
12. Current CPR and First Aid certification is preferred.
13. Applicant must successfully pass a background check and criminal record check upon employment.
Reports To: Erin Rounds, Senior Educator
Job Description: Educator is responsible for conducting on and off-site programs year-round to audiences of all ages and abilities. Assist the full-time education staff with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to the supervision and coordination of numerous educational programs, festivals and special events, preparing lessons and education materials, set-up/clean-up of programs, creating new and engaging programs, cleaning and feeding of our education animals, raptor handling, copying, data entry and other duties as assigned.
Interested applicants should submit their resume, cover letter and three references to Erin Rounds, Senior Educator, Erin.Kiefer@CedarRun.org. Please include your availability. No phone calls, please.